Creamy Polenta with Mushrooms and Mascarpone
- 1 ounce mixed dried mushrooms
- 1½ cups hot water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 cup instant polenta or finely ground cornmeal
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- Place the mushrooms in a medium bowl. Pour the hot water over the mushrooms and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse the mushrooms, then finely dice.
- Place the broth and rosemary in a medium-large pot and set over high heat. Once simmering, reduce the heat to medium-low. Slowly pour in the polenta or cornmeal, while stirring constantly to prevent clumps. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes. The polenta should have a soft and creamy texture. Remove from the heat.
- Add in the mushrooms and mascarpone. Stir well. Serve.
I chose dried mushrooms since they have concentrated flavor. The mixture I used included porcini, boletes, morel, oyster, and lobster mushrooms. Any mixture should do, or if you prefer one specific variety, stick to that.
Polenta sputters quite a bit while cooking. There’s not much you can do to prevent it. Just be aware it’s slightly messy.
This recipe is being shared in Allergy Free Wednesday.