Mike wanted something like takeout Chinese orange chicken. But without the chicken. Here’s what we ended up eating.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
Orange Tofu Stir-Fry
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into small cubes
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Pour all the sauce ingredients, except the corn starch and tablespoon of water, into a medium saucepan, and set it over medium-high heat. Once it starts boiling, turn off the heat, and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan (or wok if you have one) over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and fry until crispy and brown, about five minutes. Remove the tofu from the pan.
- Mix the cornstarch and water. Make sure the cornstarch is not lumpy. Put the broccoli and peppers into the pan and fry for a minute or two; then add the sauce. Add the tofu back into the pan. Then stir in the cornstarch slurry. Cook for a minute or two longer until the sauce has thickened. Serve over rice.
I considered marinating the tofu in some of the sauce but decided against it because I did not feel like waiting. In general though, I think tofu needs all the flavor help it can get, so it probably will get a soak next time.