This is part of an experiment to get Mike to like green beans. He did eat them, although I don’t think I have him converted.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and washed
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- freshly cracked pepper
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Add the onions and cook for a few minutes until onions start to brown.
- Add the green beans and a generous amount of pepper. Stir. Add the water, cover with a tightly fitting lid, and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook, stirring once or twice, for about 30 minutes, until green beans are tender.
- Stir the miso into the pan juices. Mix well. Adjust seasoning as needed and serve.
I used red miso, which is in the middle of the miso spectrum. You can use darker or lighter to suit your taste, but I liked the lighter flavor here.