My mother-in-law has been baking this bread for years. Now that both Mike and his Dad have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, she’s switched to making a gluten-free version. When I asked her for the recipe, her response was “Oh, you Sweetie. The Cranberry Cheese Bread is straight out of Betty Crocker pg. 52.” Here is the gluten-free version.
Cranberry Cheese Bread
- 2/3 cup sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 2/3 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cranberries, halved
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients until well mixed.
- Cut the butter into small cubes, then cut into the flour mixture.
- Mix in the orange juice, cheese, egg, and cranberries.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan, then bake for around 70 minutes, until a knife inserted will come out clean.
- Remove the loaf from the pan after cooling for 5 to 10 minutes.
I just used store bought orange juice this time. However, I’d imagine the bread would be extra tasty if you used the zest and juice of an actual orange. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. :)