Roasted Asparagus and Potatoes over Tarragon Lentils
- 1½ pounds small mixed potatoes, cut in ½-inch cubes
- ¾ pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon, chopped
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Place the potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat. Spread in an even layer. Place the asparagus on a separate large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to a medium pot. Set over medium heat. Add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds-1 minute, until fragrant. Add the lentils, broth, and mustard. Cover and set over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in the oven at the same time the heat is reduced on the lentils. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove, scrape up the potatoes, the redistribute in an even layer. Place the potatoes and the asparagus in the oven. Bake 45 minutes.
- Stir the tarragon into the lentils right before removing the potatoes and asparagus from the oven. Serve the lentils topped with the potatoes and asparagus.
I used a mix of potatoes mainly for more colorful photos. I tested the recipe using red potatoes which work just fine. I’d imagine Yukon golds would work too.
This recipe uses a long roasting time for the asparagus so fatter stalks hold up better. If you can only find thin stalks, you might want to reduce the roasting time.