The theme for this month’s Monthly Mingle is Oh Honey! Mmm, honey. I had a little brainstorming session about what goes well with honey. I happened to glance at some jalapenos sitting on the counter and starting thinking about salsa. I wasn’t sure how tomatoes would work out though, so I ended up in fruit salsa territory. As you see above, it’s actually pretty good as a salad. I also think it’d be great over some grilled tofu, perhaps marinated in honey-lime glaze? (Or chicken or fish if you’re one of those people.) If it were just me, I would have added some fresh chopped cilantro. However, Mike is firmly in the no cilantro camp. It’s something you might consider though.
Pineapple Kiwi Honeyed Salsa
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 cup chopped kiwi (3 kiwis)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (1/2 medium pepper)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion (1/4 large onion)
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- sea salt
- Whisk together the honey and lime juice in a small bowl. Place the pineapple, kiwi, bell pepper, onion, and jalepeno in a large bowl. Pour honey and lime juice over the mixture. Add a couple large pinches of salt. Mix well and serve.
Makes 2½ cups